Log 002 - September 2, 2026

The day started with us knowing it would be a long one. The goal was to move everything from our temp lodging in Arashiyama to the apartment in Kameoka (which will be for 6+ weeks).

After packing most of the house up, I timed the drive (with traffic) from Arashiyama to the apartment in Kameoka at exactly 45 minutes using the expressway (toll: Y360 each way). Taking route 9 adds approximately 10 minutes if there are no special traffic jams, so toll it was for the day. We could only get two car full loads in before afternoon errands and dinner. Tolls came to Y1,440 ($9.16) for the day.


We've stayed in this apartment before, but never for this long or with this much stuff. Furniture needed to be rearranged for this reason and a few new pieces will need to be bought before we finish up our time here. Overall the projector was set up and the furniture here meets our needs much better than the house in Arashiyama, so it should prove to be a better day-to-day here shortly. I needed another monitor to work efficiently and we'll eventually need some other pieces, but today the monitor is top of the list.


Quick stop at Sushiro between car load 1 and 2, lunch for two. Y2,710 ($17.25) - see below for some details on eating at Sushiro. It's different then Kura and Hama sushi as it doesn't stop at your table, instead it just keeps going unless you stop it. Be sure to match your table color up with your order and plate before grabbing it! I have no idea what happens if you grab the wrong sushi or miss yours, I rather not tempt fate this way.




A monitor was easy enough to find at Second Street (literally across the street from lunch), a 22 inch Lenovo LCD HDMI for Y7,490 ($47.55). Quick vending water outside for the trek back to Arashiyama Y130 ($.83).


The rest of the afternoon was uneventful as we figured out placement of items in the apartment and what would need to be done in Arashiyama the next day. Next was the first pick-up at Kameoka station and grabbing some dinner. Pinokio (spelled this way!) Cafe for dinner and drinks (non alcoholic)- 3 people. Y6000 ($38.59) total.


Shrimp Tempura curry with a iced match latte - Y2,000 ($12.86)

Fresh Bazaar is the nearest grocery store. I opted to "run in" to find lunch for tomorrow and some odds and ends since the rest of our cold food hadn't made it over yet. I was told I was in there "way too long", but I swear I timed it at 15 minutes. Living here now, I've found it difficult to make sure packaged foods do not contain fake colors, high fructose corn syrup or fake sugars. I'm trying to eat healthy here! Still much to learn. Y4,700 ($29.91) - Basically consisted of several snacks (fresh food), milk, milk coffee and prepackaged rice and natto. We'll get to making rice the proper way soon, but for now, this is what we have.


Total for today: Y22,470 ($144.12)

Tolls: Y1,440 ($9.16)

Prepared food: Y8,710 ($56.67)

Grocery: Y4,830 ($30.74)

Needs: Y7,490 ($47.55)


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Log 001 - September 1, 2026

No Visa, No Move: Figuring Out Your Way In